Sunday, March 31, 2013

Synchronicity or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

I believe in it. Or maybe I should say that I am open to it.

I know that when I start thinking about somebody, I am either going to run into them or get a phone call from them. It's been like that my whole life. I've tried to manifest this experience, but forcing it never works. It happens when it happens, totally autonomously from what I want.

I'm in the process of writing a new series of books - witches are the theme - and the more stuff I read as I research the topic, the more interested I become in the idea that magic or miraculous happenings are somehow tied into the concept of Synchronicity. When something magical/miraculous happens, it's easy to be in awe of it, to credit some supernatural force to its occurrence - which may well be the case, I can't discount it - but maybe another way of looking at it is that it's just a synchronous event. Maybe it's only a confluence of cause and effect from a thousand different smaller moments, leading up to this one larger miraculous/magical experience. All of this happens behind the scenes, out of our direct line of view, so that the event appears magical/miraculous.

I don't know. I like the idea of living in a world where magic exists...but I've never really been privy to it. So in these new books I wanted to create a world where magic is like quantum physics: A whole bunch of molecular events happening on a subatomic level so they can't be witnessed by the naked eye. It's still magic, but it's a magic that's a little more tangible.

I'm hoping that my research adventures into the world of Magic, Witches, Wicca, and the Occult will open up new avenues of thought. Or maybe something magical/miraculous will happen and I will then have first hand proof that the supernatural is alive and well in this world.

I'm keeping my mind open and my curiosity intact.

 




19 comments:

  1. Have you read the original "The Books of Magic" miniseries by Neil Gaiman? Not only does it have a lot of discussion about the nature of magic (in its many aspects) but also some part of it is exactly about that. I mean, John Constantine's magic powers work mostly by synchronicity or coincidence or "luck".

    If you're researching about magic, especially in fiction, you must read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. So looking forward to this. Witches are my thing after all. ;)

    I read the original Synchronicity back in college, really had a huge influence on my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic So looking forward ofcourse

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awesome :) I love the topic. Can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking along those same lines. The paradigms are shifting. The more we discover in physics, the more it looks like magic.
    I look forward to the new books.
    Hope to meet you at c2e2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been fascinated by all things supernatural and the nature of magic. It's probably why i enjoyed Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twilight series, Charmed, The Craft etc. So i hope you enjoy writing your book (and especially doing the research) and i look forward to the resultant masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Synchronicity is choreogrhed by a great passive intelligence that lies at the heart of nature, and is manifest in all of us through intuitive knowledge." Deepak Chopra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arthur Koestler's 'The Roots of Coincidence' has an interesting take on the subject of synchronicity and theoretical physics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have tried to force those moments and met with the same result... namely, zilch. I believe, however, that it is possible to follow a chain of synchronized events if you're paying attention. Just saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. On one hand, I'm a little bit "I'm writing to someone several thousand miles away, with delivery in near real time, what exactly did you want from magic?"

    On the other hand, the books sound interesting, looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great! And I think it's quite appropriate that you of all authors would write a book series about witches ;). I also hope to see you at C2E2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Synchronicity is a given,
    but have you heard of
    Synchromysticism ?
    It is the study of an actor's synchronicities in their entire film career.
    Jake Kotze is the best at putting these clips together,but there are a few others good at putting together these clips too.

    Check out Jake's You Tubes here -

    g8ors.blogspot.com

    His latest was "God Does Not Play Dice".

    Here's some that were done on Andras Jones the star of "Nightmare on Elm Street 4" -

    http://brizdazz.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/andras-jones-psycho-cinematic-analysis.html


    Maybe I could ask them to do one on your movies?
    I stumbled across this blog by accident.
    I didn't even know who you where until I went to IMDB and looked you up.I'm sorry to say that I still don't,but your face looks familiar.I'll have to rent some of your movies and watch them.
    I see that you were in "Buffy" so maybe you know Andras Jones's mate Seth Green,who is in the Andras movie sync clips about Andras's movies ?
    Anyway,good luck with your books and movies.
    Once you get into the sync world you'll be hooked.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is your synchronicity, notice the date
    mail was sent:

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: <@gmail.com>
    Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:05:56 -0400
    Subject: Fwd: .... confidential .......
    To: irv@ess.washington.edu

    The theory is known in physics as an "acausal connection" -i.e., the synchronicity principle,
    simply meaning that cause and effect is balanced out by
    acausality. This is now verified, and it changes everything
    we currently believe about reality.

    In the 1980s, Maj.Gen Albert N. Stubblebine, commanding
    general of U.S. Army Intelligence, (INSCOM) headed the
    research into psi
    phenomena, i.e., clairvoyance, etc. The program was
    called, "remote-viewing." The recent film, 'The Men Who
    Stare At Goats' is a fictional account of their activities.

    Currently, details submitted to the advanced research
    group PEAR, at Princeton University, were emphatically verified,
    finally proving how an aspect of "mind" transcends space
    and time, i.e., precognition.

    The material conforms to current theories, including physics,
    psychology, mathematics, etc., etc....

    BMSecond
    New York
    PSI Research

    ReplyDelete
  15. Writing about
    'The Men Who Stare At Goats'
    Here's a sync for you -

    http://brizdazz.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-men-who-stare-at-goats-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I guessed right about the idnetity of this new unvierse (next Feb. q at latest, I hope?) I'll be very...nah, can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's a sync podcast that you might be interested in listening to Amber...or blogger readers -

    http://thesyncbook.com/synchronize#Ep01

    It features Rae Dawn Cong talking about her movies and life.
    How knows,maybe we'll hear you on this show one day ?-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amber, haven´t you ever thought that we look for magical/miracles as if they were hidden somewhere. they´re not, they´re right in front of us everytime, we dont need "supernatural", the natural is magical enough, we just get too much used to it and forget to realise it...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete