Thursday, April 19, 2012

First Challenge Winner!

Well, I waited as long as I could for Serpent's Storm to get 77 reviews...sadly this was not to be...so there will be no singing.  BUT I have crowned a winner for the First Challenge - the best use of the word CHICKEN in a Serpent's Storm review.

Drum roll, please.

And the winner is: TRAVIS HERRICK

For his lovely rendition of that old classic: THE CHICKEN AND THE RACCOON


But don't take it from me.  Here is Travis, in his own words:

"I read this book over the last several days and I have to say, it really reminds me of the old folk tale of the Chicken and the Raccoon.
Once, a long time ago, in the American Heartlands, there lived a Chicken and Raccoon, and they were the best of friends.  The Chicken was very industrious, and worked very hard each and every day.  The raccoon did the minimal amount of work he needed to get by, and spent his days listening to hipster music and lounging around wearing sunglasses.
But even thought there were very different, the Chicken and Raccoon were close friends, and they shared the love of books.
One Day, the Chicken came up to his good friend Raccoon.  “Raccoon, I have been feeling down.  I feel that I’ve spent all my time at the office without doing any of the important things in life.  Part of me wants to be like you, because you’re always so happy and seem like deep down, you’re satisfied with life.  But all you do is slack off and listen to annoying music and wear sunglasses all day.”
Raccoon took off his headphones and thought for a long time.  He looked at Chicken and said “Well, you work hard.  You’d hate my life; what you have to realize is that all you have to do is be yourself to be happy.  You don’t need to change yourself to be satisfied.”
Well the years passed, and Chicken never became more satisfied with his life, whereas Raccoon always was.  Raccoon was unable to help his friend, because he didn’t realize what the problem was.  Of course, as readers of The Serpent’s Storm will surely know by this point, Raccoon had read it while Chicken didn’t.  The Chicken was never able to appreciate the snarkiness of Amber Benson’s writing, the cleverness of her world, her engaging characters.  Chicken will never know the plight of Callie and how she grows as a person to be less insecure and more willing to take over her responsibilities.  He will never know the turmoil of Callie not knowing who to trust, or the catharsis of her victory.  And without knowing about The Serpent’s Storm, how could he possibly have experienced the beauty and wonder the world has to offer?  Sadly, Raccoon had assumed that he had read this book, as who wouldn’t, so he said nothing, and Chicken went his whole life never knowing.
The moral of the fable, as always, is to not be like Chicken.  Buy Amber Benson’s book."

Travis will not be picking a song for me to sing.  Instead, I will be writing a personal poem for Travis and then putting it up on my youtube page.

Congrats, Travis!!


10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I forgot. How many did reviews did you get? I was so looking forward to hearing you sing (I was hoping for I Love You Period) and here I am one of the idiots who waited too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! A personal Poem what a great prize :) Well done Travis.

    Amber, how about doing one of the songs anyway, just for fun. I Love You Period would get my vote of the two you listed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe aka AmberAddictApril 20, 2012 at 4:17 AM

    I'd just like to say well done to Travis I thought that was an excellent review to combine it with an old American fable was both clever and an original idea. Is there really an American fable called The Chicken and the Racoon? The reason I ask is being a Brit it struck me that I wouldn't know either way and I was curious. If not I'm even more impressed with Travis's tale and I enjoyed reading it.

    A small part of me is disappointed however that there will be no song as you have such a beautiful singing voice. That said I'm really looking forward to hearing your poem for Travis as your writing never disappoints.

    Well done Travis! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heeheeeheeeheeeheeheeeheeheee

    D'C'A'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Travis as that was original and creative. Well-deserved and I look forward to the poem.

    Does the lack of 77 reviews mean no footage of Amber eating Chocolate-covered ants on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Amber. My name is Daniel Hodges and I'm a roleplaying game writer and host of a podcast called Penny Red (pennyredpodcast.com).

    I interviewed Tim the other day (ep11 goes up Monday) for the show and I'm casting about for new guests.

    I'm not sure what your roleplaying experience is but if you're interested in appearing drop me a line daniel at hazardgaming dot com .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished http://instagr.am/p/J5rL2nKtPQ/ :)
    Absolutely fabulous! :)
    Thank you Amber for your great work :) Can't wait to read next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, well done Travis. That's a well done chicken.

    Pity about the singing. I would of liked some Rocky Horror songs:)>

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob Pendell, the Wizzard of JacksonvilleJune 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM

    Dear Ms. Benson,

    Just finished "Serpent's". I have enjoyed it immensely and all the books that lead up to it. I was a bit surprised to find that you don't seem fond of Bast, as she is one of my own greatest friends--as is Kalima, so I was pleased with the role she plays in the series. The occult universe you present is incredibly amusing, amazing and unlikely, quite inventive. Please continue with the series for as long as your typing fingers can last. I'll read them all.

    With love under will,

    Bob, aka Adastra,
    The Wizzard of Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a weblog i am so inspired here can you discuss here, i am back again again to your site as soon as possible and i have lot of collection for you just click here for more information.



    Technewsinfo

    Technews

    Tech news

    Tech

    ReplyDelete