Sunday, February 14, 2010

Runt To The Rescue WInners

First, I want to thank Theresa Grammer for coming up with this awesome contest. She is a pet lover and ASPCA Member, who also designed my Lovers, Liars and Lunatics website.

Now for the winners!

The Random Raffle Winners are: Jennifer Borri, Masha Kashina and Lilac_Mess.

The Picture Winner is: Stephanie Patton

Meet Sammie, who actually volunteered to wear this outfit!


And the Story Winner is: Jenny B.


Hola,

I have to remind myself this is me having a conversation with you. That is how I want to come across. With that said I have to take you back to the beginning. I was born on September 11, 1982. Oh wait a minute...that's a different story. In the style of my 2nd favorite Golden Girl Sophia Petrillo...picture this Santa Ana 1993. I was 11 years when I had witnessed one of mother nature's miracles. A cat we had taken in at that time was giving birth in my bedroom. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Kitten after kitten was being born. As soon as I saw him I knew he was mine. Lionel is what he later was known as. After finding homes for all the other kittens including the mama, Lionel remained mine. He was a great companion growing up. He always knew how to cheer me up, and was always there when I was at my lowest. I am an only child who was raised by a single mother. Unfortunately for me the one I called "mom" abused me. My mother was a bitter drunk who hated the world and everyone in it. She fed off of other people's misery. Since I was her daughter that gave her the right to beat me and make me suffer all of her woes.
I don't want to get side tracked here this isn't about me or Lionel. You see Lionel wasn't with me forever like I thought he would be. He was in his 5Th year when he came down with severe liver disease. He had to be put down. He was survived by his daughter Nike. Yes, this just turned into the Lion King. The real story here is Nike. What can I say about this lovable feline. She would meow your ear's off that's for sure. Nike wasn't apart of the family. She wasn't some pet. She was an extraordinary gift. She had the ability to do something no one else in this world could do. She made my mom smile, feel warmth, and actually care about something. God knows I couldn't do any of those things no matter how hard I tried. If only for a fraction of a second she allowed my mother to be human. To be humane. When it came time for me to move out I didn't take Nike with me, and not because I didn't want to. I wasn't the one who needed her most. It wasn't a hard decision to leave her with my mom. I had the privilege that some people don't ever have. I had the same beloved pet in my childhood into my adulthood. Throughout the years I visited Nike and saw the effect she still had on my mom. She continued to work her magic. I just wish my mom could have held on to the woman she was when Nike was around. Sadly though she is far more bitter then ever before.
It was in May of 2009 when Nike was diagnosed with a neurological disease. I took her to the vet and had her treated. She seemed to get better, but as time passed her condition worsened. I was faced with one of my toughest decisions. I had to live by one of life's lessons of loving and knowing when to let go. On July 10, 2009 my heart was broken. I didn't want to be selfish and keep Nike with me. Keeping her would have subjected her to more pain, tests, and treatments. I knew I had to put her down. I wanted to be more personal by having the doctor put her down in my presence. I thanked her for giving me 15 years of love and devotion. I thanked her for all she had inspired to give my mom. It's ironic how I saw her father Lionel born into this world, and witnessed Nike leaving it. When she took her last breath it didn't hit me. It wasn't until the doctor confirmed that her heart stopped beating that made me lose it. I wanted to take it back. I wanted to shout no! No! No! I change my mind, but she was gone. I held her and continued to kiss her head. I took advantage of every second of that moment to hold her because I knew it would be my last time. I made arrangements to have her cremated. I didn't get the chance to make those arrangements for Lionel. Nike was always my only connection to him. So in the end I do have both Lionel and Nike with me forever.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thank you to everyone who donated money and sent pictures and stories – they were all wonderful and therefore I had a terrible time deciding the winners! Everyone listed above will receive an autographed copy of my new book, CAT'S CLAW. Enjoy!!






11 comments:

  1. *sob*
    Dang! Keyboard got wet.
    Well, I bet that after reading so many stories you had leaky-eyeballs too! lol
    I've had my share of furry family members that have left this earth before me. I still have 6 more to go. One is such a dork that even at 22 he shows no sign of acting his age!
    That was a real tear-jerker, Amber. I can see why you chose it.

    Congrats to all the winners!

    *hugs* to all who love the furry and to the furry themselves!
    ...................BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amber,
    Thank you from the bottom of mi corazon girl. I knew in my heart you would choose my story. This was real girl! Staright up! It was a hard story for me to write. This was my first time telling this story ever. On the real! Thank you again. Thank you to anyone who comments on my story.
    Much love to everybody!
    Jenny B

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me cry! Truly truly awesome story! Thank you so much for sharing, and congratulations on the win! You deserve it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was horribly sad!!! But in turn, it is how life goes, it made me think of the pets I have loved so much and lost.

    Thanks for sharing!
    mckee_b

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say hello and kind regards from abroad :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to all the winners!

    Stephanie: Sammie the Santa is soooo adorable! Hmm.. Easter is just around the corner. :)

    Jenny: Your story is sad but also heartwarming. I don’t know your mom, obviously, but I think she was projecting her true feelings for you onto Nike --the daughter. People with addictions like alcoholism don’t hate the world as much as they hate themselves. It’s easier to show love to an animal because there is less fear of rejection. Hopefully, your mom will see how much you really love her, that she is worthy of being loved, and accept that love. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    Amber, you are very sweet and generous to do special things like this contest and the Tara for Charity. You are an inspiration and wonderful role model for youth and adult alike! DEATH’S DAUGHTER is a fantastically fun read and I’ve no doubt CAT’S CLAW and the third book of this series will be every bit as successful! Major Kudos and.. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation to Winners.
    Photo funny
    Tale so sad
    Lionel & Nike will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to have my great dane named tarzan put down a few years ago, he was my only real friend and I miss him so much. I still hate myself when i think about what I did but i know he's in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,
    we would love to trade links with you. Please let me know i you are interested.

    Best
    Marcello
    www.yvymag.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your blog. Thank you. They are really great .
    Some new style Puma Cat shoes is in fashion this year.
    The Nike Air Shoes is a best Air Shoes .
    Red Shox is good and Cheap Nike Shoes.
    If you are a fans of Puma basket,we would offer the good and Cheap Puma Shoes for you .the nike shox torchis best christmas gift now.
    Running Shoes
    Nike Shox R4
    Nike Air Force Ones
    Speed Cat
    The information age is really convenient .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your blog. Thank you. They are really great .
    Some new style Puma Cat shoes is in fashion this year.
    The Nike Air Shoes is a best Air Shoes .
    Red Shox is good and Cheap Nike Shoes.
    If you are a fans of Puma basket,we would offer the good and Cheap Puma Shoes for you .the nike shox torchis best christmas gift now.
    Running Shoes
    Nike Shox R4
    Nike Air Force Ones
    Speed Cat
    JORDAN 2010

    ReplyDelete